So you decide to get a new dog. Woohoo! Are you prepared? Whether you are getting a brand new puppy or an older dog, you still need to make sure you and your home are ready. Dogs can be curious creatures and they are going to want to sniff, touch… and maybe even chew everything in your house. Here are a few tips to get your home ready for the new pup:
- Be sure to pick up all of your children’s games and toys. They could be attractive toys to your new dog but could be hazardous it chewed or swallowed.
- Pick up your clothes. Don’t leave that laundry basket out or shoes around the house. Your dog will certainly find them and may chew them up. Not only will you be unhappy, but things like shoelaces and other clothing items can hurt your dog if swallowed.
- Put the lid down. Dogs tend to find all of their water source options. Keep the toilet lid down! Toilets are cleaned with hazardous chemicals that could be harmful to your dog.
- Keep a lid on your trashcan or store it in a closet.
- Buy several dog toys and bones that will be a good distraction for chewing. Instead of your kitchen table.
These are just a few tips, and there are certainly many more things you can do to get ready. What did you do to get ready for your new dog?