Every dog has his day, so the saying goes, and today is that day! Today is National Dog Day, don’t you know. Also known as “International Dog Day” and “Dog Appreciation Day”, National Dog Day is celebrating its tenth year of lifting up man’s (or woman’s) best friend!
So why a day just for dogs? “I want the world to celebrate dogs for their capacity to love and their ability to impact our lives everyday in the most miraculous ways,” writes National Dog Day founder, author and animal behaviorist Colleen Paige.
And what’s not to celebrate, right?! Over the ages dogs have formed an inextricable bond with us two-legged types, serving as hunting partners, guards, guides, friends, and even our “eyes” and “ears” when others fail. And despite our many flaws, they have remained loyal and loving to our breed. And if you’re here, you likely know the special place a dog holds in your life – or someone else’s. All said, it’s a pretty amazing thing.
National Dog Day is a day not only for dogs, but dog lovers as well as dog owners. Naturally, if you’re looking for ways to celebrate, the list goes on and on. If you’re looking for a place to start, here’s a short list to get the party started:
- Adopt a dog from a shelter or pet rescue organization
- Make a donation to a shelter or rescue group
- Take your dog on a run or walk in an all-new place
- Roll down the windows – need we say more?!
- How about an extra treat today? (We’ve got a pretty good idea for this one!)
- Arrange a doggie play date
- Help a friend or neighbor by walking or playing with their dog
- Buy or make a new toy for your dog
- Donate blankets, food, or other needs to a local shelter
- Volunteer at a shelter or with an animal welfare organization
- Take some pictures with your dog and share them with your friends and family
- Howl at the moon
Yep! No bones about it, we are lucky to have these dogs in our lives. Now, get out there and live it up on National Dog Day!